Monday, February 12, 2007

OK, yeah

Waaaaaay too dark. That's what my monitor(s) at work tell me. And a bit too saturated, too, at least in the "light" areas. ("Light" here meaning the slightly different shade of dark...)

By the way, I was thinking about that holding back thing, keeping some of the things I do off the web until the big final reveal. I'm leaning away from that, for a few reasons:

1) I'm not so good that the reveal is a big deal.

2) I've had a couple of real artists visit here, who probably wouldn't visit the Dead Channel, and I appreciate getting their advice.

3) Trying to hold back would mean no blog posts for extended periods.

4) I don't have that kind of self control.

So, if you just want to see the end product and not all the fumbling around that leads to it, you'll have to close your eyes for about 90% of my posts, at least until I change my mind about this.

3 comments:

Wanderer said...

There's an easy way to check if the brightness and contrast of your monitor is set properly. Take a look at this grayscale chart: http://www.dpreview.com/images/grayscale.gif. If you can see a difference between between X, Y and Z and A, B and C; it's perfect. If the grayscales are just all black & white you've got some tweaking to do.

colin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
colin said...

The new blogger now gives me a link directly to the post where a comment came from in the mail. That's useful for responding. And you know how much I love responding!

Anyway, my monitor here at work shows that greyscale chart reasonably. I'm pretty sure the problem is my home monitor being too clear and bright. I tried calibrating it with some tool from Adobe, as I recall. Funny thing is, other people's pictures look pretty good in either, but mine always show too dark on regular human monitors. Maybe I'm just sensitized to how my own pictures "should" look.

I'm going to take another crack at calibrating my monitor tonight, I think.

P.S. I just wanted to fix a comma! I hate how blogger doesn't let you edit comments.