Monday, April 02, 2007

Why do they look like burn victims?

Well, not really, but I'm guessing somebody might someday wonder why my portrait sketches so often have scratchy lines all over their faces. It's part of my style, of course! Ha. Anyway, the way I draw involves me trying to feel the shapes I'm drawing in a three-dimensional space. I do this by running the stylus along lines on the surfaces, which sounds wonderful and cool when it works, but generally ends up producing pictures of people who look like they have just climbed through a thorn bush or had plate-glass windows broken over their heads, and that's when it goes well.

Sometimes I sort of like these extra lines, though. Often I try to clean them up at some point and end up not liking the results. I'm wondering if there is some way I could keep them. I'm also wondering if I should just in general spend less time trying to clean things up. It seems like I spend a lot of time cleaning up line work and arriving at pictures I like less than what I started with.

No comments: