Monday, December 31, 2007

Poverty of Imagination



Good, it is not, but after spending pretty much all day today noodling around and getting nothing except more and more frustrated, it was a relief to have something come out, even a mangled something like this.

The title? Oh, I was thinking about something that John Carmack said, as an offhand remark during a tech demonstration once. He said that the difference between artists and the rest of us seemed to him to be a higher fidelity of imagination. That is, when an artist imagines something it has much more texture and detail than when a normal person does. A normal person like me, I sometimes think. It certainly does seem sometimes that artists have an amazing ability to encrust their visions with baroque detail at the drop of a hat, and I find this very difficult to do. I am, however, still an eternal optimist, enough so that I can sometimes enjoy drawing pictures anyway.

No comments: