Sunday, January 20, 2008

Blast from the Past

Today somebody left a comment on a picture I did a bit more than a year ago. It was a very scribbly sketch, and I found myself wondering if I could do any better now.



Maybe a little. I ended up, as usual, going off and doing something slightly different from what I had intended originally. Instead of a quick sketch, I spent a fair bit of time (more than an hour) trying to do something relatively accurate, so the comparison isn't really fair. (Painter, approx 1 hour.)

Then, as I brought it into Photoshop for resizing (Painter, for some reason, doesn't seem to resize things well), I decided to try fooling around with a bit of "inking" with a tool that I don't usually use for that purpose. It didn't work that well, although that may not be such a problem with the tools as with the fact that this is a very flatly lit picture, and I'm really timid with the blacks.



(Photoshop, 45 minutes)

In other news, I spent a good part of today looking at pictures of art deco furniture and people in tuxedos. Make of that what you will.

No comments: