Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One and a half

One and a half chapters left to go. The climax is happening. Sentences are short. Many contain words like "blood," "scream" or "explosion." It's pulpy and delicious, full of angst and melodrama and over-the-topness. I'm probably going to have to cut it all and rewrite it.

I looked last night, and there were over fifty two thousand words in the draft. That means I can expect this to roll in at around fifty seven or fifty eight thousand, hopefully in a week or so.

I've made predictions like that before. They never work out.

3 comments:

Tim Akers said...

There was a point in my book where I stopped and thought "You know, I've got to find another word to use instead of 'blood' here." And that's when I knew it was all going to be okay.

colin said...

Heh. Gore? Ichor? Precious fluids?

Edged up against 53,000 last night. I thought I had written a huge amount, and it turned out to be less than 1000 words...

Tim Akers said...

I think I went with "The walls were dabbed with the meat of his corpse..."

Not really.