Thursday, March 19, 2009

Stupid Hands!

Last night I spent a couple of hours grumbling and drawing and drawing and re-drawing and grumbling again. I had a picture in my head. Have had it for a few days. Never got what I wanted on the screen. In fact, what I saw made me doubt that I can draw competently at all. I hate it when that happens.

After all the thinking that maybe I should give up on this whole thing, I said to myself. "This is how it works. Tomorrow night, you'll draw it again."

And I will. From scratch. Because, otherwise, how the hell am I going to get any better?

Maybe if I was some kind of genius, talented artist I could whip off six great pictures an hour every time I sat down to draw. Maybe someday I'll get to that point. But for now, nine out of ten pictures is a slog through the muck, constantly cursing my stupid, stupid hands. So the only thing I can do is to start over, and do it better next time.

No comments: